Georges River FC was originally founded in 1960 and entered three teams into the local Sutherland Shire football competition in 1961.
The name ‘Georges River’ was agreed upon over a few dark ales. It was chosen over ‘Oyster Bay’ to help broaden the appeal of the club. Rumour has it that the ‘Tigers’ came from founding member Doug Beattie’s fondness for the Balmain Tigers, while others will say it was a natural choice based on the old black and gold uniforms bought from the SSFA who was moving from black and gold to blue and white at the time.
Our home ground was originally a mudflat that was filled with rubbish and topsoil. The conversion of the intertidal region at the head of Oyster Bay into playing fields began in July 1960. Oyster Bay 1 was completed in time for the 1962 season, while Oyster Bay 2 followed in 1963.
GRFC has grown over the past 60 years to welcome players from every age group and at all levels of competition. We now field over 100 teams and 1200 players in the black and gold, all supported by a thriving community and passionate committee that are both the envy of many other clubs.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t celebrate our important 60th anniversary milestone in 2020 due to these crazy COVID times, but the Tiger spirit is alive and well and stands us in good stead for another 60 years!